What does a dental check-up include?
Maintaining your oral health is key to a healthy mouth and body. Learn what is involved in a general check-up and clean
Apart from your daily routine of brushing and flossing, a six-monthly check up and clean can help to keep your oral health at optimal levels. Dr Phil and the team recommend that you come in every six months to check on your oral health and to have your teeth professionally cleaned.
What can I expect in a dental check-up?
Before the team undertake your check-up, you can expect to have your medical history assessed and also your diet and oral hygiene habits reviewed. This information helps us to tailor your check-up and investigate the issues you may be concerned about.
Our team of experienced and skilled dental professionals will perform your check-up and clean in approximately an hour. Our extensive dental check-ups will involve:
- Cleaning and polishing – a special instrument, called a hand scaler or an ultrasonic dental instrument, provides deep cleaning above and below the gum line. Your teeth will then be polished with a rubber cup or brush to remove any remaining plaque or stains.
- Examination – for your examination, both your dentist and dental hygienist will examine your teeth, gums and mouth to look for signs or issues like:
- Oral Cancer
Your gums will be examined to measure the ‘pockets’ between your teeth and gums to see if you have developed any cavities. A small mouth mirror will be used to get a better view of the back of your teeth and the sides. If you do have any visible problems, Dr Phil may recommend starting a treatment plan.
- X-rays – Dr Phil may decide to take x-rays of your teeth to look for decay, disease or other dental issues. If you do have x-rays from another dentist, bring them in so the team can look for any changes in your mouth.
- Education – After the cleaning, polishing and examination, Dr Phil and his team will discuss any dental hygiene problems that were detected and show you the correct way to floss and brush. This is a great time to ask any questions or bring up any concerns you may have about your dental health.
Get the most out of your dental check-up
Your oral health has a significant link to your overall health. So it’s important to communicate to Dr Phil any concerns or problems you may be experiencing. Ensure you tell him:
- If you are experiencing any new health problems that you have been diagnosed with since your last visit. These might include diabetes, heart disease or if you have had a stroke. For new patients, it is also crucial to disclose any medical conditions to Distinctive Dental Care.
- Discuss any problems or changes you have noticed with your mouth, your gums or your teeth since your last dental visit. The earlier Dr Phil will know about these issues the quicker he can treat them.
- Bring a list of any medications or supplements you are on, including the dosage size.
- Let the team know if you suffer with dental anxiety or fear. We can work with you using pain management systems to make you as comfortable as possible.
Check-ups and cleans at Distinctive Dental Care in Bundaberg
After your check-up and clean appointment, we will confirm your next visit, which will generally be in another six months.
When was the last time you came in for a check-up and clean? Can’t remember? Was it longer than six months? Book in with the experienced team at Distinctive Dental Care today to keep your oral health at optimal levels.