Why should I replace missing teeth?
Missing teeth can impact your daily life in more ways than one.
The first thing that you may think of regarding missing teeth might be a beautiful smile, but missing teeth affect much more than just the way you look. Aesthetically, losing a tooth can change your appearance, but missing teeth can also cause receding gums, jaw bone shrinkage and cause your remaining teeth to move out of place.
Why is it so important?
Your mouth, jaw, and body have developed together over millions of years and they are designed to function together at peak efficiency. From bad digestion to affecting your speech, missing teeth can be detrimental to your holistic health.
Missing teeth can:
- Change your bite. Your jaw could move from its normal position and could sit to one side or another and eventually start to shrink.
- Affect your speech. The way your tongue moves around your mouth helps to form words correctly and your missing teeth will undoubtedly change the ease in which you say words, and can often cause a slur or a lisp.
- Cause healthy teeth to decay and move. Having large holes in your gums can give bacteria a place to thrive and multiply, causing plaque to develop. Missing teeth can also cause your healthy teeth to move out of place and disrupt other teeth.
- Be bad for digestion. Your mouth is the first step in the digestive system and food that isn’t chewed well can cause choking, digestive problems like acid reflux and other more serious issues.
What are my options?
- Dental implants. Dental implants are small titanium fixtures that serve as a replacement for the root section of a missing natural tooth. Placed in the upper or lower jaw, implants fuse with the bone and are the initial step that will later provide support for crowns, dentures and bridges. Implant-supported replacement teeth look, feel and function like natural teeth.
- Same day crowns. Distinctive Dental Care in Bundaberg knows that their clients lead demanding and fast-paced lives so we offer same day crowns. Same day crowns are restorations that can restore the size, shape and strength of your tooth. The crown is placed over the tooth after it has been filed down and treated and serves aesthetic and functional roles.
- Bridges. The purpose of bridgework is to re-establish both the health and appearance of your smile after tooth loss. Bridges can restore lost teeth, provide support for your remaining teeth and help in creating accurate teeth positioning with a proper bite alignment. Bridges are a long-term solution that can stop the cycle of harmful dental conditions that can occur in relation to tooth loss.
- Tooth coloured restorations/white fillings. A cosmetic alternative to visible and potentially harmful amalgam fillings, tooth coloured fillings can subtly treat your decay. While amalgam fillings were traditionally the only method for treating tooth decay, Distinctive Dental Care offers tooth coloured fillings so you can avoid the dark and often noticeable colouring of amalgam fillings.
Distinctive Dental Care can help restore your smile
Restorative dentistry is a vital component of the work done at Distinctive Dental Care in Bundaberg. Our team strives to help patients regain both the appearance of their smile and their oral health. The dentists at Distinctive Dental Care can treat teeth that have deteriorated due to decay, inherited conditions, trauma or simply by exposure to your everyday lifestyle.
For more information on what to do if you have missing teeth or want to book an appointment, contact us today.