What Is General Dentistry?
Learn more about general dentistry and how visiting a dentist can help you and your smile
Dentistry at Distinctive Dental Care
Oral and dental health is an important aspect of your overall healthcare and should never be underestimated. Taking care of your teeth, gums, jaws, and mouth form part of a good dental and oral healthcare and can ultimately help preserve not only your teeth, but your overall health and well-being as well.
People often overlook the importance of good dental care and therefore rarely visit a dentist. If you are one of the many people who are looking to properly care for your teeth and mouth, then visiting a general dentist is the first step in your dental care journey.
Distinctive Dental Care in Bundaberg employs a team of trained professionals, who will help you attain a better and brighter smile.
What is General Dentistry?
General dentistry focuses on the broad dental aspects of oral healthcare such as the teeth, gums, nerves, and jaw. It involves the examination, diagnosis, prevention, and treatment (surgical and non-surgical) of the teeth, gums, jaws, and surrounding facial areas (head and neck).
General dentistry consists of caring for a patient’s smile by taking care of their teeth and mouth and includes thorough cleanings, gum care, root canals, fillings, preventative education, and much more.
Teeth can suffer damage from neglect (not properly caring for them or bot visiting your dentist often for cleaning), trauma, or disease. General dentistry procedures include restorative care (such as root canals, fillings, crowns, etc.), which will help with repairing damaged teeth.
General Dentistry Services
General dentists provide many different dental treatments and procedures to patients, making them the ideal dental care professional to visit on a regular basis. In severe or complicated cases, they may refer you to specialists, but they have otherwise been trained on a majority of dental procedures such as:
- General care and maintenance: Thorough cleaning and other cosmetic procedures are used by general dentists to improve the attractiveness of your mouth and smile which can often have restorative benefits as well.
- Restorative treatment: Simple restorative treatments such as crowns, bridges, dental implants, dentures, veneers, etc. are used by dentists to correct dental problems. These prosthetic tools are either fixed to the teeth using a bonding agent to correct issues such as cracked, chipped, stained, and discoloured teeth, close the gaps between teeth or are surgically attached to the jawbone (and the replacement placed over) to install an artificial tooth. These treatments provide both an aesthetically pleasing look and help restore proper function to the teeth and mouth. General dentists can also provide dentures for patients who wish to use a removable tooth replacement option.
- Gum care: Gum disease is caused by the inflammation of the gum line and is the first step towards full blown periodontitis. If not treated promptly and properly, it can cause an infection and affect the bone that surrounds and supports your teeth, ultimately causing tooth loss.
- Preventative care: Whilst it is important for you to visit your dentist regularly, it is also important to properly take care of your teeth at home. Your Bundaberg dentist will provide advice on proper care and nutrition to help keep your teeth, gums, and mouth clean and healthy. They will offer tips on proper brushing and flossing techniques and what foods to avoid to help maintain healthy teeth.
- Minor oral surgery: Many general dentists can perform minor oral surgeries such as complicated tooth extraction and root canals which can save a decaying or infected tooth.
The Benefits of General Dentistry
You may not notice any changes in your teeth or mouth, but your dentist will and will be able to effectively treat it and help save your smile.
Visiting your general dentist on a regular basis will help you maintain good oral and dental habits and health. They will be able to examine your teeth and help identify any problems or potential problems and help treat it before it becomes worse.
The skilled professionals at Distinctive Dental Care in Bundaberg are capable of providing you with care and treatment and will take care of all your general dental needs so you can always enjoy a healthier and happy smile.
Distinctive Dental Care | Bundaberg
If you would like to learn more about our general dentistry services or would like to book an appointment, then contact us today!